Sunday, October 14, 2012

New York Comic Con & Kodansha's Panel

Hello Kitty Chun Li, me, my friend, and my fiance.
I attended New York Comic Con Friday and Saturday cosplaying as a green Converse-wearing Sailor Jupiter.  This was my first time at NYCC, and I was surprised by how well-represented anime and manga were by both the cosplaying attendees and the booths on the showroom floor.  There weren't many Sailor Moon cosplayers, but it's safe to say that most of them were present for Kodansha's panel.

If you'd like to watch the Sailor Moon segment of the panel, you can check out this Youtube video recorded by another, more dedicated Sailor Jupiter who was in attendance.  FUN FACT: At 10:28, after they finish reading Takeuchi's special letter to us American fans, you can hear me shout, "I love you, Naoko!"

Since I know you're all such uber fans, you likely have already heard that Kodansha will be releasing a new art book featuring selections from the 5 original Japanese books AND some "unpublished original drawings."  This book will be released simultaneously in 7 countries, and the bonus material will differ for each country, which means we'll just have to buy them all.  Read Kodansha's official announcement here.

I won't sit here and summarize everything else, because you can just watch the panel yourself.  I will say that the panel was a lot of fun, and the folks from Kodansha were all very jovial and good-natured. Someone did ask about correcting errors (at 8:12 in the Youtube video) but besides that, there wasn't any talk about the quality of the manga re-release.  I think it was better that way, because if people started throwing down about Princess Beryl, William Flanagan, and sloppy editing, the whole positive atmosphere would have been ruined.  As far as I'm concerned, Kodansha is on notice about the various problems present in the manga and have actually moved their arses to fix some of them (such as many of the facepalm-worthy issues in volume 1) thanks to fans' repeated complaints, so I didn't feel the need to pick a fight at this panel.

Afterwards, a bunch of Sailor Moon cosplayers met up to take some group pictures.  This was a lot of fun, and we attracted quite a crowd of onlookers snapping photos.  God knows where I'm going to show up on the Internet after that.  I saw a few more Sailor Moon cosplayers at other times during the convention, including two different Professor Tomoes, a musical version of Super Sailor Moon who was sporting a big Sailor Moon tattoo on her arm, and a seriously creepy Tuxedo Kamen.  No Sailor Uranus, though!


I'm rockin' those Chuck Taylor's
 
 
Elios's head got cut off.  Sorry, buddy.
Other remarks about the convention:
-The convention organizers said that bootlegs were not allowed, period.  Yet, I saw many bootlegs being sold.  See that stuffed Luna on the floor in the picture above?  Bootleg.  There was even one guy running a booth stocked with nothing but bootleg DVDs.
-Popular costumes included Finn from Adventure Time, Poison Ivy and Bane from Batman, Deadpool, and lots of people with candy corn-colored horns on their heads.
-Want to buy lots of cute stuffed things?  Go to NYCC.
-While riding up an escalator in a train station, a guy behind me asked me if I was Wonder Woman.  I said no, Sailor Jupiter from the series Sailor Moon.  He didn't know who I was talking, and then said, "so, I guess if I get into trouble, you can't save me."  To which I replied, "Of course I can!  Sailor Jupiter is a superhero, too!"

Now, how about my review of volume 7?  Well, we are about two weeks away from the release of volume 8, so you guys are going to get a double dose of analytical goodness real soon.  I guarantee volume 7 will be posted by Monday, October 22nd.  If it isn't, I will post my home address so that you can mail me angry letters, garbage, poop, or any other unpleasant thing.  I will then have volume 8 up within 2 weeks of the official release date.  If that doesn't happen, please refer to the previous note about mailing me crap. 

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like good stuff in the pipeline.

    Exciting. Now that I know the boxset manga will be smaller, I'm second guessing whether to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I saw you! I was in the panel as Cruella De Vil. ;) Great Sailor Moon costumes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I'm a little ashamed to say that I don't think I saw you. I was probably distracted by that guy in front of me who was dressed up as a purple My Little Pony.

      Delete
  3. Candy colored horns..
    A part of me died when I heard that.
    I guess Homestuck is still alive and kicking.

    I was hoping it was just a California problem that would go away soon.

    But hooray! Love your costume and all of the Sailor Moon cosplayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know a thing about Homestuck. Upon reading your comment, I looked it up, and it does seem pretty lame.

      Delete
  4. It's almost the 22nd! >:| You better have an update by tomorrow or...! *goes and prepares to do everything you said we could do*

    Lol I'm kidding of course, but I really would love for you to have your update ready by then. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks for keeping me in line! The update is nearly finished! You shall be able to read it tomorrow during your waking hours.

      Delete
    2. Lol no problem! :D I'll be sure to do it for the next volume too. ;) And awesome! I'm glad to hear it. :)

      Delete
  5. You now have one week until it's time for your next update or else. >:|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha, yes, I got the book on Sunday and am working on it now. 0:)

      Delete
    2. Yay! =D

      Like I said, you can always count on me to try and help enforce this law. >:]

      Delete
  6. It's officially been two weeks since the release date. You have 'til midnight tonight to post the volume 8 review or else. >:|

    ReplyDelete
  7. *sends as many things you said we could as possible* >_________<

    ReplyDelete